RSS

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Beer Cheddar Soup

One night this summer, I was watching one of my food shows on TV and saw some little pub making what looked like a great Beer Cheddar Soup. I  told my boss that I was going to give it a whirl, and he found a good recipe for me to base it on. (He probably knows I cant follow directions exactly.) This weekend I tried it again. It's smooth, creamy and cheesy. I just suggest some crunch to go with it.

Beer Cheddar Soup
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/8 t. white pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup beer
16 oz. (4 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
(Note-best served with a croutons, popcorn or bacon bits for  some crunch.)

Preparation -
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter then stir in flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Add garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard and pepper. Stir until well combined. Gradually stir in chicken broth, half and half and beer, cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 10 minutes. Add cheese and stir until melted. Continue cooking on low heat, (do not boil) stirring frequently for 10 minutes or so. Makes 7 (1 cup) servings.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: