RSS

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fried Tempura Mushrooms

Black Morel (Morchella conica), Dresden, Germany.Image via Wikipedia
It's mushroom season here in the Midwest. A friend gave me some freshly picked morels the other night and I was up for experimenting. I've eaten mushrooms often, but I haven't cooked morels. One of the guys from work showed his cell phone with a picture of newly picked morel's lining his table.
I remembered a recipe one of my friends gave me when I was looking for a better batter for onion rings and it works well with mushrooms, onion rings, or other veggies like cauliflower.

Fried Tempura Mushrooms
1 pkg. Tempura batter (like McCormick Golden Dip)
1/4 t. Cayenne
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 lb. fresh mushrooms

(Note - for morel mushrooms, split in half and soak in salt water overnight. Rinse well and let drain/dry on paper towel.)

Heat 1/4 inch of oil in bottom of skillet. Dip mushrooms in batter and fry 2 or 3 minutes per side - just until batter is golden. Serve warm. Good with horseradish dipping sauce. Makes 2-3 servings.
(Morels can be dipped in just flour and fried, adding salt just after pulling out of the pan.)
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: