RSS

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cowboy Steak

Photo courtesy Taste of Home
   A friend loaned me a few of his cookbooks that I really like - they're western themed. One is a cookbook from the Coor's beer family with all kinds of recipes they used in Colorado. The other one is a Marlboro "Cowboy" cookbook, with great pictures and all kinds of food cooked on the trail, over a campfire, or with a western flare. 
  When I was internet surfing one day I found a recipe for Cowboy steak that reminded me of these cookbooks. It would fit right in. I had most of the ingredients, but of course not all. I also didn't want to make a whole batch of a dry rub if I wasn't sure that I'd like it. So I took their idea and adjusted it to my style. 
  The hubby and I cooked these one night on the grill with some wood chips for a little smoke. It worked out right fine, except for the extra char he added by mistake. He doesn't quite have the art of searing down yet.

Cowboy Steak
2 steaks, (we used medium cut T-bone)
olive oil, (about 1 T.)
chili powder
paprika
white pepper
fresh ground black pepper
kosher salt
sugar
butter or margarine softened, about 2 tsp.
*optional - 1/2 tsp. minced garlic can be added to the butter.

   Lay steaks on plate and lightly spread both sides with oil. Sprinkle both sides with spices and sugar, in order listed. 

   Cook steaks over direct heat, about 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Flip steaks and cook over direct for another 2 minutes. Remove to indirect heat for another 5 minutes (2 on each side). Spread butter lightly over steaks and let rest for a few minutes. Serves 2.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: