RSS

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fresh Homemade Salsa

Photo courtesy Taste of Home
    During the heat of summer tomatoes and peppers are usually plentiful - that makes it salsa time! I've tried various combinations to a dish that should be easy. After all, salsa is just basically tomatoes, onions and peppers. However, it's not so easy. I've made some really bad batches. 
   A food friend gave me his recipe that is tested and approved by many. I, of course, couldn't quite find all the ingredients. This is how I adjusted it. The key for heat is the seeds. I played it careful and didn't use too many. Next time I'll be braver and add some more.

Fresh Homemade Salsa
20 medium tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
2 anaheim peppers
4 hungarian wax peppers
1 T. cumin
1/2 cup white vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 can tomato paste

Wash and core tomatoes. (Blanch) Dip in boiling water 30 seconds and then remove to bowl of icy water. Peel tomatoes and dice a little over 1/4 inch thick.

Dice onion less than 1/4 inch thick.
Wash peppers, remove seeds (but reserve) and dice to less than 1/4 inch.

Combine all ingredients in large pan. Add some of seeds for heat (1/2 of seeds is about medium heat, but be careful)

Bring to boil for 15 minutes. Makes about 5 cups.

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: