RSS

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Turtle Burgers

Redneck Turtle BurgerRedneck Turtle Burger (Photo credit: joebeone)
   While on one of the internet sites, I saw the image of a "Redneck Turtle Burger." It was so amazing the only comment I could think of was, "Wow!" It's so cute. You take a burger patty, weave it in bacon, with a slice of cheese underneath (I wasn't brave enough to add the cheese), and cut hotdogs to stick around the burger like feet, head and tail. 
   My husband took one glance and said "Cardiac Arrest!" But come on, burger, bacon and a dog . . . what more can you ask for?
   First you shape a burger patty, which is no big deal, but then you have to weave bacon around it, not just wrap - weave. That took a minute or two, it's been a while since I've been in 4-H and weaved anything. I got the hang of it after a bit, but then we moved on to the hotdogs. That's where it got tricky. First I cut them in half, but that seemed too big. Next I tried thirds and that seemed better, but then I ran into the problem of getting them to stay in place. The recipe showed toothpicks, but mine were cheap so I opted out, however it would have been so much easier. 
   I put them on a cookie sheet, stuck the darn hotdogs back in place and baked them. (I forgot the foil part below).  The smell from the oven was so good, the boys starting circling like vultures. This is a cute idea to do for kids, grandkids or real meat lovers.

Turtle Burgers
Handmade ground beef patties, 1/3 to 1/2 lb. each
1 slice sharp cheddar cheese per burger 
2-3 slices bacon per burger 
hotdogs, 2 per burger

Form ground beef patties, and season (easy on any salt). Top with sharp cheddar cheese slice. Weave bacon aroung burger. Add hotdogs as the heads, legs with slits for toes and tail.
Place on an oven rack (or baking sheet), cover loosely with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: