RSS

Monday, September 3, 2012

Creamed Peas

Photo Courtesy Taste of Home
    There are three basic veggies that are favorites at my house - corn, green beans and peas. I try to keep cans of them in stock for a quick side dish. I usually just dump the peas in a pan, throw in a little salt and pepper and if they're lucky, a pat of butter.
   I had flash back to my childhood when my mom would sometimes make creamed peas. That's when I thought, "I can do this." 
   After all, creamed peas are no more than a simple white sauce mixed with some peas. It's like making a white gravy, with slightly different proportions - and it's quicker. Most recipes that I consulted used frozen peas, but canned works fine.  
   This turned out to be a quick simple way to dress up an everyday favorite. 

Creamed Peas
1-15 oz. can peas, drained
1 T. flour
1 tsp.butter
1/2 cup milk
sprinkle of salt 
white pepper, if you have it, black if not

   Melt butter in small saucepan. Sprinkle in flour and stir well to combine. Over medium-low heat, gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until completely combined and smooth. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add peas; simmer 5-10 minutes, just until peas are warm. Serves 3-4.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: