RSS

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Dreamsicle Soda Cake

Photo courtesy Taste of Home
   A friend and I were chatting, when the conversation turned to sweets. She told me how she had made a chocolate cake with soda. I had heard of this before (from another friend through work), but never made the occasion to try it. 
  My curiosity was peaked. It just sounded too simple to be true. But it really worked. This is the easiest cake I've ever made, with just three ingredients, cake mix, soda and frosting. That's right, there's no egg and no oil. Wow! 
  I used orange cake mix and cream cheese frosting. Our youngest daughter said it tasted just like a Dreamsicle Push Up that you used to get from the ice cream man. That was my goal. It was very moist and big hit at our Labor Day cookout.


Dreamsicle Soda Cake
1 pkg. orange cake mix
1-12 oz. bottle of orange soda (I used Orange Crush)
1 pkg. cream cheese frosting

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 if using dark pan). Spray and lightly flour 13x9x2 pan. In medium bowl place cake mix. Slowly stir in orange soda. 
    Pour into prepared pan and lightly tap bottom for air bubbles to rise. Bake 25 minutes or so. Cool completely. 
   Top with frosting and refrigerate until serving. (Chilling is optional, my frosting seemed runny, but it was summer and the house was hot.)
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: