RSS

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Skillet Chicken and Noodles

Photo courtesy Taste of Home
   Some people love to shop, others do it because they have to, and there are those who just hate it.  Personally, I want to spend the least amount of money in the shortest time possible.
   I've decided that someone should write a manual on the art of shopping. Why not? Dr. Spock thought he could give us a manual on child raising. If I did such a manual, I would make a section just on speed shopping. You know that attitude, "I'm on a mission and don't get in my way." The best tip I can give on being speedy in the grocery store is to make a list in the order of the layout of the store. It saves a lot of time back tracking. 
   If I have to dip in the grocery store on the way home from work for a quick meal, here's my idea of a quick fix. It's a tasty dinner (we had no leftovers) in under thirty minutes and Rachel Ray would be proud. I believe in using what I've got, so substitute as needed, sometimes the basics are just fine.

Skillet Chicken and Noodles
1 T. olive oil (or margarine)
3-4 fresh chicken breast, cut in 2 inch chunks
salt and pepper
1/4 cup diced onion
1 stalk of celery, minced fine (or 1/4 tsp. celery seed)
1 tsp. minced garlic (optional)
1 can (15 oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 can mixed vegetables, drained
1 can diced potatoes, drained (or two medium potatoes, cubed and boiled until soft)
1 T. parsley
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. rosemary
1/2 pkg. egg noodles

In large skillet, with lid, heat oil. Add onion and celery (salt), sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes until it just begins to soften, stirring often. Add garlic if desired, stirring to combine and then add chicken, cooking over medium heat. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Cover with lid slightly tipped, but stir often to cook meat evenly, about 7 minutes.


Once chicken is no longer pink, but still juicy, stir in cream soup, canned veggies and potatoes. Stir well to combine. Add spices and herbs, stirring again.


Add noodles, mixing well. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and crack the lid to let cool. Serves 4.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: