RSS

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Homemade Italian Sausage

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.
   When you like to cook, it's good to get to know your local butcher. They can point you in the right direction for what you're wanting to do. Another perk of having a butcher as your friend is that they can customize your order. (Many do as a practice.)
    I like to get plain ground pork and season it myself. I've made my own chorizo for chili by adding paprika, chili powder and a few other tidbits. Once I tried garlic sausage and it made a great meatloaf, one of my best.
   The most common spice blend I use on ground pork is to make it into Italian sausage for pasta dishes. This can easily be adjusted to how much garlic, oregano and heat (crushed red pepper) that you like. I find that options are always good.

Homemade Italian Sausage
1 lb. ground pork
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano or 2 T. fresh oregano
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. fennel seed
1/4 -1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Combine all ingredients in small bowl, mixing well. Put in container with lid and refrigerate overnight. Use as needed in any recipe calling for Italian sausage.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: