RSS

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Southern Cooked Cabbage

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.

    Recently I visited one of our local restaurants which offers a buffet. I'm not usually a huge fan of buffets because I just can't eat enough to make it worth the money. However, I do love sampling little bits of lots of things.
    While cruising the buffet options, I happened upon some cooked cabbage. Now, I like cabbage however it's usually a take it or leave it type of thing. The ways I've eaten it in the past have been rather plain and mundane. I took a sample and this time was pleasantly surprised. I tasted bacon!! Then came the slight flavor of onions. I thought it was great.
    When I find something simple that I like, the next step is to make it at home. I never quite hit it just right, but sometimes I can come close or come up with something pretty good. My take on the cooked cabbage was to add some extra peppers in the mix for flavor. Next time, I'm adding the bacon. This dish was easy and had a nice flavor.


Southern Cooked Cabbage
1 small head of cabbage (or 1/2 large), cored and sliced
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 small bell pepper, chopped
4 small banana peppers, diced

1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup chicken broth

*Try this using bacon drippings and top it with bacon crumbles.

In large skillet, heat butter and olive oil. Add onion and both kinds of peppers, cooking until soft. Add garlic and sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir well.

Add cabbage, stirring to combine and soften. Cook about 10 minutes and then pour chicken stock in pan. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes until cabbage is soft and tender. Serves 6.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: