RSS

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chicken and Rice Soup

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.

       I love making soups in the winter. Add a grilled cheese and you've got a quick simple dinner. Soups are also a great way to use up tidbits of leftovers. Each holiday I seem to have some celery and carrots stranded in the vegetable bin. These are great base flavors for many soups and stews.
     Making a stir fry was the first idea I had for the veggie leftovers, so the slicing and dicing began. I soon realized that I didn't need the whole can of chicken for this adventure, so I reserved half for soup. Since I had most of the same ingredients spread all over the kitchen, I then diced the veggies smaller and started melting some butter.
     Usually I make soup into an afternoon project, simmering in the slowcooker for hours. This was easier and quicker since all of the ingredients, except the veggies, were already cooked. All I had to do was saute' them for a few and add the rest to heat through and combine flavors.
    This was a nice way to get two different meals out of one set of ingredients.

Chicken and Rice Soup
2 T. butter
1 stalk celery, diced
4 baby carrots, diced
1/4 small onion, diced (about 1/4 cup or 3 T.)
1/2 large can cooked chicken ( or 1 small can)
3 cups chicken broth (or 3 bouillon cubes dissolved in water)
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning

salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup cooked white rice

In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onion. Let cook until onions and celery are soft, about 7 minutes.

Heat bouillon or chicken base in water in microwave for 2-1/2 minutes. Stir to dissolve.

Add chicken and spices to saucepan, stirring to combine. Pour in chicken stock and add bay leaf. Add rice and stir.

Cover and let simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Serves 4. Recipe easily doubled.

Note - Half cup cooked and chopped rotisserie chicken can also be used.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: