RSS

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ham and Cheddar 7-Up Biscuits

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.

     I am not a good biscuit maker. They always turn out thin, pale and dry (baby hockey pucks). I tend to roll them out too thin and over work the dough. I figured I was just cursed.
    This biscuit recipe was the first time I have ever made biscuits that I thought passed the test. They were soft, flaky and moist (I'm sure the sour cream helps out there.) 
    Since I tend to like those little breakfast sandwiches - some type of meat and cheese piled on a biscuit, I opted to use some leftover holiday ham and chipolte cheddar cheese slices. Sausage patties with cheese and/or egg would have worked well, too.

Ham and Cheddar 7-Up Biscuits
2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup 7-Up
1/4 cup melted butter (2 heaping T. )
9 pieces of ham, cut in 3 inch pieces

3 slices of cheddar cheese, cut in thirds.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place butter in baking dish. Put baking dish in oven to melt butter. 


Mix Bisquick, sour cream and 7-Up in a medium bowl until moistened and incorporated.

Turn dough out onto a flat surface dusted in baking mix. Knead and fold dough until coated with baking mix.

Pat dough out into a 3/4-inch thick round. Cut 9 biscuits using a round cutter or glass.

Place biscuits on top of melted butter and bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until brown.


Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes, until cool enough to handle. 

Meanwhile heat slices of ham in microwave or skillet. Layer cheese on warm ham to melt. Split biscuits and insert ham and cheese. Serve warm. 

Feeds 3-4 people. Recipe easily doubled using 13x9x2 baking dish.


Biscuits out of oven.
Note - I would flip the biscuits once you put them in the pan, so that both sides get coated in butter and brown better - just a thought.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: