RSS

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Beer Cupcakes

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.
     Months ago, during my internet travels, I came across a recipe that added beer to cupcakes. I was intrigued. With "girls poker night" and the Superbowl coming up, I felt compelled to try making cupcakes from scratch, using fruity beer. 
     What a project! The cupcakes themselves weren't difficult at all to make, but just a bit more time consuming than I expected (countless interruptions). The icing recipe I used however was a total flop. It poured on like goo and I had enough for 4 more batches. Yikes!
     The perfect example of "almost homemade" are these cupcakes. The little cakes are moist and the flavor is great with the bright sparkle of citrus. Even though I consulted one of my "Food Friends" about the frosting (there is a difference), and she showed me just how to do it right, I totally recommend buying ready made and doctoring it up. 

Beer Cupcakes
Cupcake Ingredients - 
 3/4 cup butter at room temp.
1-3/4 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. zest – lime or orange
1 cup beer - Corona or Blue Moon
1/4 cup milk
Lime or orange wedge, cut in quarters as garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill 2 muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
Mix flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla and zest. 

Mix milk and beer. Add liquid and dry ingredients alternately to eggs, beating well.
Fill cupcakes 2/3 full. Bake 18 minutes. Poke holes in top of each cupcake with a skewer or large toothpick and brush with a little bit of beer, just enough to moisten the tops.

Frosting -
Scoop one container of cream cheese frosting into a small bowl. Add one teaspoon of zest (fruit of choice) and mix until combined.

Spread onto cupcakes when cooled. Store in an airtight container.

Makes 24 cupcakes.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: