RSS

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Basil Tomato Slices with Mozzarella

Photos courtesy of the Cooking Corner.
    At the end of summer and fresh tomato season, I'm looking for new ways to use tomatoes. I get bored with doing the same stuff. At a work carry-in lunch not too long ago, one of my coworkers brought in an Italian variation that seemed simple and was a fresh change.
    This Italian tomato salad is my version of her dish. There's no real comparison to fresh mozzarella cheese and basil is a perfect herb to pair with tomatoes. It seems to bring a real pop of flavor to any tomato dish. Since I didn't have a balsamic vinaigrette on hand, I came up with my own that added a nice overall touch to the dish.

Basil Tomato Slices with Mozzarella
1 large slicing tomato
6 thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
6 fresh basil leaves
1 T. onion, diced
1clove garlic, diced
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
cracked black pepper
kosher salt


Slice tomatoes and arrange on serving plate side by side. Layer with sliced mozzarella and then top with basil leaf.

In small bowl mix all remaining ingredients and whisk to combine well. Drizzle over tomato layers.

Chill until ready to serve.

Note: Often served with a layer of the thin Italian smoked ham - prosciutto.

0 comments: