RSS

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Easy Fruit Dip

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.

     A few weeks ago we had another wedding in the family. This time the hubby's oldest daughter came up from Texas just so she could make it legal in front of the family. How sweet. Now the bride-to-be wanted to keep it simple, not fussy but with plenty of food. Sometimes simple, especially on short notice, is a good thing.
    While browsing through the grocery store circulars that week I noticed bright pretty pictures of strawberries, blue berries and raspberries. This made me think that a fruit tray would be a good idea for the happy day. Even big kids like fruit. I know how grapes get snatched up at our house and they were a grocery feature as well.
    The fruit tray also seemed like an easy thing to prepare in advance and assemble just moments before needed. I'd never made a fruit dip before so I checked my friends recipes and then consulted the internet. I found one that was as easy as could be. It only called for 3 ingredients. How can you beat that? One block of softened cream cheese is whipped with brown sugar and vanilla. 

    Later I realized that I should have used sliced fruit instead of the berries that were in season. Apples, pears or even oranges would have worked just fine - the pretty blueberries and raspberries, not so much.

Easy Fruit Dip
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 T. vanilla extract

fruit options
1 qt. strawberries
3 apples, sliced and soaked in lemon juice
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
3 bananas, cut in 1/2 inch slices

In small bowl, beat cream cheese until well whipped. Add brown sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into plastic container with lid and refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

0 comments: