RSS

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Cowboy Frosted Flakes Meatloaf

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner

  The hubby's older brother recently sent home a recipe for me to try - a meatloaf. He'd found a recipe for meatloaf in one of his cowboy magazines that sounded interesting so he thought he'd pass it along. Interesting it was, because this meatloaf was made with "Frosted Flakes."
   Now, I can say that I've used oatmeal, potato chips, bread and crackers as a binder for a meatloaf, but never Frosted Flakes. To make the recipe more interesting, 1 cup of water was added to the pan. That was a new one on me, too. 
  The texture was very good and it sliced nicely. Because of the water the meatloaf was very moist which is always a plus. If you like sweet BBQ, this might be a style you'd like, but I like a little more kick. My brother-in-law said that it passed the test with him just fine.

Cowboy Meatloaf
inspired by
(Rowe Family ranch in Burwell, Neb.)
American Cowboy magazine

2 lb. hamburger
1 T. minced onion
1 packet dry Lipton Onion Soup mix
1 1/2 cup crushed Frosted Flakes
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup ketchup
salt and pepper

topping - 
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
Spray coat a 13x9x2 baking dish.

In a large bowl, break eggs and mix well. Add burger, onion, onion soup, crushed cereal, ketchup, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.

Shape into loaf in baking dish. Pour 1 cup water around base of meatloaf. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. 

In a small bowl, mix ketchup and brown sugar until smooth.

Uncover, drain excess liquid and spread topping over meatloaf. Bake 15 minutes more.

**Cook's tip - for more flavor use corn flakes instead of frosted, BBQ sauce instead of ketchup and top with a layer of 3 strips of bacon while cooking before adding topping.

1 comments:

Joyce Phipps said...

When I read this recipe I cried. I found this recipe several years ago in a magazine. My husband loved it. It is sliceable which he likes. I added it to my collection of favorite recipes but for some reason my collection has disappeared. This has really upset me. Losing this recipe was like losing a good friend. I am so happy to find it again. Can't wait to show my husband. Thank you so very much for putting this on line. This has really made my day, week, month, year.