RSS

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Beef and Noodles (Poor Man's Stroganoff)

     
     Betty Crocker first came out with Hamburger Helper in 1971, and it was quite a hit. Talk about quick and convenient - dinner in one pan within half an hour. (Rachel where were you then?) But, now almost 40 years later, well, move on over, I don't need you anymore. I do it from scratch. I can't tell you the last time I bought a box dinner kit. Well, that's not true, I had a coupon for a buy one, get one on a Taco Bell dinner kit - but I'm not so sure that was that great a deal, but hey, $1.25 can't be bad, even if it's just for the shells and taco seasoning.
    Anyway, over the years, through necessity, I developed my own one skillet dinners. The kids' favorite by far is what I call Beef and Noodles, though in reality, it's more of a "Poor Man's Stroganoff." What's nice is the possibilities are almost endless. I've used mac and cheese in more ways than can be counted and rice can also be used as the base. It just depends on what you've got to work with. Here's how I do it.

Beef and Noodles
1 lb. ground beef
1 can cream of mushrooms soup
1 heaping tablespoons sour cream (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic  powder
1 tsp. paprika
beef bouillon cube in 1 cup water heated 3 minutes to dissolve
milk - 1/4-1/2 soup can
1/2 pkg. noodles
parsley or chives

Preparation -
Brown ground beef, seasoning it with onion and garlic powders. Drain excess grease when done. 

Slowly stir in cream of mushroom soup, paprika and sour cream, if using it (mixture will be thick). Add half of milk and stir. 

Pour noodles over top and stir to mix. Add remaining milk and /or water until noodles are covered in liquid. Add salt and pepper. 

Stir well and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until noodles are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. 

Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley or chives when done.

Serves 5-6.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: