RSS

Monday, August 30, 2010

Chicken Mostaccioli and Garlic Alfredo Sauce

One day at work, my friend Maggie and I were talking food, specifically Alfredo Sauce. I had gotten a good deal on some and told her what I did with it, so she gave me a recipe of hers. It sounded great, but of course, being me, I couldn't quite follow directions.  So this is one of those times that you get two recipes in one - what I was supposed to do and what I actually did. Hey, why not?

Maggie's Chicken Mostaccioli & Garlic Alfredo Sauce
3 cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
3 Roma tomatoes (diced)
2 Tbs. Olive oil (or canola)
2 tsp. of basil
1 jar of Bertolli's Alfredo sauce
Penne or Mostaccioli Pasta
Grilled chicken breast (brushed with olive oil) - 1 per person

In a skillet on medium heat - add olive oil and minced garlic, saute for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, add diced tomatoes and saute for 3 minutes. Add Alfredo sauce and basil, put on a low heat and mix well.
Boil pasta til done and drain. In a large bowl, mix pasta and sauce well. Slice grilled chicken breast. Create a bed of pasta to lay sliced grilled chicken on and top with Parmesan cheese. Serves 6.

Now, here's what I did -
After thawing my chicken breasts, I found an assortment of small pieces and breasts, so I decided to cut them into chunks, so cooking time would be even. I marinated the chicken pieces in Italian dressing overnight.
In large pot of boiling water, add salt and when it returns to boil, add 1/2 box Penne pasta. Cook about 6 or 7 minutes until tender. Drain.
In skillet with a lid, saute chicken in olive oil over medium low heat until browned - remove for later. Add another splash of olive oil, heat, then toss in garlic, stirring often so it doesn't burn - about 4 minutes max. Take 6-8 grape tomatoes, cut in half and add to garlic, cooking quickly for about 3 minutes, stirring. Add Alfredo sauce, stirring to scrape bottom bits. Add chicken, salt, pepper and basil. Add 1 cup broccoli florets, cover and simmer  on low, stirring occasionally 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Serves 6.

(note - because I cooked everything in the same pan, the browned flavor bits from the chicken came loose and the color is not the white creamy Alfredo that you're used to - it's a light tan, but rich in flavor.)
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: