RSS

Thursday, August 26, 2010

New York Sour Cream Cheesecake

Springform Pan with the walls loosened from th...Image via Wikipedia
When I was little, we always had boxed Jello cheesecakes. But then, my mom did lots of quick-fix boxed foods. I always found that interesting since my "Granny" made so many things from scratch. I remember watching her make homemade dumplings and even helping pick the feathers from the chicken. It was fascinating and tasted great, too.
So when I started cooking, I understood that the boxed items were faster. But if you have the time, and the know-how, from scratch is still the way to go.
I discovered this recipe way back when I was in college. Like the Food network show says, "The best cheesecake I ever ate." This cheesecake is one of those rich, decadent, creamy, melt-in-your mouth wows.
It's not really hard, it just takes a little patience, (not much). Constant stirring to get a creamy blend, and the right pressure to push the crust up the sides of the pan.
I made it for my hubby's birthday one year - oh yeah! It cost a pretty penny but it's worth every luscious bite.

New York Sour Cream Cheesecake
Crust
2 1/2 cups packaged graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
Filling
5 pkg. (8 oz.) soft cream cheese
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 T. flour
1 T. grated lemon peel (optional)
1/4 t. vanilla extract
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream

1. Make crust - In a medium bowl, with back of wooden spoon, mix graham cracker crumbs with sugar and butter until combined. Press mixture on bottom and sides of 9 inch springform pan, building up sides of pan, Chill until needed. Preheat oven to 500 F.
2. Make filling - In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon peel, and vanilla. Beat with mixer on high just to blend. Beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Add cream, beating until just well mixed. Pour into crust.
3. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 250 F. and bake one hour longer.
When you remove from oven, spread sour cream on warm cheesecake and let cool in pan. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
4. To serve - Using spatula, loosen crust from edges of pan. Carefully remove side of springform pan. Cut into wedges. Good with strawberries.
Serves 16-20
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: