RSS

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Scalloped Corn

    I discovered this recipe in a cookbook over 25 years ago - The New Doubleday Cookbook - well, it was new in 1985. This book has been my Bible in learning to cook. It has the basics on everything. I even found a copy for my daughter at the Goodwill store.
    When I started using this recipe for my first try at Thanksgiving dinner, I was glad it was an easy, basic recipe with common ingredients. Now, every year, my kids request it - for more than holidays and there is no such thing as leftover. I hope you find it as useful as I do.

Scalloped Corn
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1-1/4 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper (or black)
1 egg lightly beaten
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
2 cups whole kernel corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
1 cup soda cracker crumbs
2 T. melted butter
(original recipe calls for black pepper and prepared mustard)

Preparation -
In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour to make a paste, then slowly add milk, continuing to heat, and stirring until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and mix in salt, pepper, egg, mustard and corn. Pour into buttered 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cracker crumbs on top, then drizzle butter over all. Bake uncovered 30 minutes until lightly browned. Serves 4.

Note - I usually double the recipe and put in 13x9x2 baking dish.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: