RSS

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cajun Turkey Burgers

I have a friend in Oklahoma that I like to tease about Grippos and tenderloins. These are regional faves that just aren't found out there. But Karl gave me the idea for trying ground turkey instead of beef or pork. With Thanksgiving coming up, and plans of leftovers in my head, I decided to give some ground turkey a try. I almost tried using it in Taco Burgers, but thought I'd be a little different and went Cajun instead. Wow! I was surprised, the meat really picked up the flavor and was very moist. The consistency was also really good - it held it's shape and thickness. Unfortunately I didn't measure the spices exactly,  so this is my best guess. (a little bit on the onion, more on the garlic and alot on the Cajun - just go easy on the salt.)

Cajun Turkey Burgers
1 T. olive oil
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
2 T. Cajun spice
1/4 t. cayenne
1/2 t. black ground pepper
1/2 t. kosher salt
4 pieces sliced cheese (if desired) pepperjack would be fun

Topping (optional)
1/2 cup sliced bell peppers
1/4 cup sliced onions
2 cloves garlic
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
sprinkle of salt and pepper

Mix spices with ground turkey, blending well. Let set in refrigerator at least 30 minutes to blend flavors. Shape meat into four patties. Heat olive oil in skillet. Sprinkle outsides of burgers with a little more Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook burgers 7-10 minutes, flipping half way through, rotate on pan as needed to get even browning. Add sliced cheese to melt. Remove to plate and set aside. (warm oven would be ideal)
In remaining oil, add veggies to skillet and saute' for 5 minutes or so until tender. Place veggies on top burger and serve. Makes 4.


Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: