RSS

Friday, April 22, 2011

Chicken Vegetable Gumbo

Signature gumbo from Bozo's Seafood Restaurant...Image via Wikipedia
Since I'm determined to find uses for chicken quarters and I like Cajun food, and I love my slow cooker I combined them all. One day I used the slow cooker to cook the chicken quarters and make stock and the next day I assembled the gumbo fixings and let it finish the job. Most of the ingredients are pretty common. When I can't find Andouille sausage, I substitute smoked sausage and if I don't happen to have celery, I use celery seed. If I had some shrimp I'd throw them in the pile, too. It last much longer with the same flavor. I served it in a bowl over some rice with cornbread on the side.
(see my post on April 13th of how I cooked the chicken quarters)

Chicken Vegetable Gumbo
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 t. celery seed
1 T. Cajun seasoning
1/2 t. chili powder
1 lb. Andouille sausage
2 cooked chicken leg quarter meat removed from bone and diced
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 cups chicken bouillon (2 cubes in 2 cups water)
1 pkg. frozen gumbo vegetables (optional)
*hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 cup cooked rice

Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add flour a little at a time, stirring continuously. Keep stirring, making a rue at least 20 minutes until the butter breaks down and turns a golden tan, the longer, the browner, the better. Add peppers, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper. Keep stirring. Slowly add chicken stock stirring well to incorporate. Pour into slow cooker. Add remaining spices, sausage, chicken and chicken bouillon. Add frozen gumbo vegetables and hot sauce if using. Cook on low 4-6 hours to blend flavors. Serve over rice. Makes about 6 servings.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: