RSS

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Quick Ham and Cheese Stromboli


Photo courtesy of my Mac
   As I was cruising through one of my food magazines, Taste of Homes to be exact, I found an article on quick ways to make strombolis. Now I really like sandwiches and breads, so a strom rates right up there. 
    I can make one of these from scratch that just turns out great, but it is a yeast bread and that takes time and planning. I take hours to be exact - to rise, fill and rise again. So if you can do a strom quicker and easier for a work-night meal, why not?
    These recipes called for either French loaf or pizza crust as the base and the fillings varied. Of course, I didn't quite follow the recipe because I never seem to have all the ingredients exactly. I live by the art of substitution.
    I used Black Forrest ham and cotto salami, which is fine if they're sliced thin enough. My salami was cheap and a little too thick. That's where the salt came in. The original recipe called for pimento, but that is never in stock at my house, so bell peppers worked out just fine. There are many possible variations using this basic recipe, depending what's in stock. 
    (Note, they are very good first time around, but microwaving the leftovers, not so much, not bad, but not great. Sometime reheating in the oven is the only way to go.)

Quick Ham and Cheese Stromboli
 1 pkg. (11 oz.) refrigerator French loaf
1/2 pkg. or 4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 pkg. or 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is good)
8 slices ea. of thin sliced deli ham and salami (hard or cotto)
1/2 bell pepper, sliced in thin strips, any color
1/4 onion, sliced in thin strips
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
No salt
1 tsp. soft butter
*optional - 2 T. Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375.
Coat large 14x12 baking sheet with cooking spray. Unroll french loaf carefully on pan, stretching dough close to edges without tearing. Sprinkle cheeses over dough within 1/2 inch from edges. Place meats over cheese. Layer peppers and onion on top. Sprinkle veggies with oregano and pepper.
Roll dough starting with long side towards opposite edge and then scoot slightly so that seam side is down, and then move to center of baking pan. Tuck ends inside.
Brush top with butter and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese if using.
Bake 375 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cut with serated knife after allowing to cool for a few minutes. Serves 4.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: