RSS

Monday, August 13, 2012

Sausage Gravy

Biscuits and gravy with fried potatoes and shrimp and grits.
    My favorite breakfast food is biscuits and gravy. It's simple, good and filling. When I first started making gravy, some 30 years ago, it was not easy for a beginner. That's why I'll share my basic recipe for those starting out in the kitchen. I had to call my mother-in-law at the time, long distance so that she could walk me through the steps. My sad first attempt would have made Elmer's glue proud. 
    This is one dish I've never measured. It's strictly eyeball. To make it more confusing it also depends on how many you're serving. Like adding water to ham and beans to stretch the meal, add flour and milk to stretch the gravy.
   It takes a little practice and gets easier as you go, but gravy is a skill worth mastering.

Sausage Gravy
1 lb. ground sausage
milk, at least 1 cup
flour, about 1/4 cup
salt and pepper

   In large skillet with high sides, brown sausage. Drain most of drippings, but not all. Sprinkle flour over meat and stir well to combine. Add salt and pepper. The mixture should be very crumbly. 

Turn heat to medium low and slowly stir in a little milk. Mixture will thicken; add more milk, a little at a time. Keep stirring to thicken. Add a little more salt and pepper. 

Simmer until gravy bubbles slightly (do not boil) and keep stirring. Skillet should be about half full and gravy should be slightly thick. Serve over hot biscuits. Serves 4-6.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: