RSS

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Skillet Cheese and Jalapeno Cornbread

   Here in the Midwest cornbread is a staple. Most of us have grown up with ham and beans with cornbread. It's just one of those perfect combinations. 
   My husband had never been a big fan of cornbread until I showed him the right way to eat cornbread, slathered in butter. It's also good dunked or crumbled in soup, whether it be bean soup or chili.
   There are plenty of good homemade cornbread recipes using cornmeal and buttermilk, but I usually take the easy quick way and dress up a boxed mix. Sometimes I add cheese, green chilies, or in this case jalapenos.
   I've learned a few tricks with cornbread, one is to not over stir the mix, it just needs to moisten and not be lumpy. I usually let it set a little before and after baking. I also have one old, small (oven proof) skillet that I always bake it in. I think this poor skillet is older than some of my kids. But it always makes a good cornbread that is a perfect side to soups, and in this case with cheese and jalapenos, it's great with some hearty chili.

Skillet Cheese and Jalapeno Cornbread
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
2 slices Velveeta cheese, cubed fine
10-12 tamed jalapeno slices, diced (such as Marzaretti's)
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Break egg into small bowl and beat. Add cornbread mix, milk, jalapenos and cubed cheese. 
Mix carefully, just to moisten.

Pour into sprayed oven proof 10 inch skillet.
Bake 17-20 minutes, just until lightly browned and inserted knife comes out clean.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: