RSS

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Kahlua Balls

   I decided I was going to try my hand at holiday goodies with booze, but my options were limited - very old wine, vodka I'd stashed for the occasional white Russian or Kahlua. Considering the options, I decided on Kahlua.
   After consulting a rum ball recipe, I went on to make Kahlua balls, substituting the coffee flavored liquor for the rum in the rum ball recipe. 
   Well, let me tell you, I had to do just a little more substituting than I'd planned. At a very late moment in the project, I discovered that I'd run out of powdered sugar so I had to substitute brown. 
   It turns out that this was a tasty little recipe with a flavor similar to chocolate covered peanut butter, but only a hint of Kahlua.

Kahlua Balls
1 cup pecans, chopped fine
2 cups vanilla wafers, chopped fine
1/4 cup. light brown sugar
1-1/2 T. light corn syrup
1/8 cup Kahlua

3 bricks of chocolate almond bark

   Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Lightly butter hands, if needed, and roll one small scoop (heaping tablespoonful) of dough into a ball, about the size of a golf or ping-pong ball. The dough is very crumbly, but will hold when worked together.  

  Place balls in plastic container lined with wax paper or lightly sprayed foil. Refrigerate over night. 
  In microwave-proof glass bowl, melt chocolate for 1 minute in microwave, stir and warm 20 seconds more. Stir well again so that chocolate is well distributed.
  Carefully roll ball in chocolate to coat. Set aside to set for 4-5 minutes. 
  Store in covered, dry container. Makes 1 dozen.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: