RSS

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Smoked Sausage Kabobs

sausage, kiełbasaImage via Wikipedia
Last weekend I looked around the kitchen and surveyed what I had to work with. Our tomato plants are popping right along and the grape ones are plentiful right now. I had some onions in the "use or lose" stage, so I dipped in the freezer and got spicy smoked sausage out to thaw. Kabobs just entered the menu.
I love kabobs, grilled little bite size pieces of variety. What's really nice about kabobs is that the possible combos are limitless. I was going to add zucchini and pineapple to the mix but I forgot the zucchini and the grandkids ate the pineapple. So those I'll have to do another day. This is what I did.


Smoked sausage kabobs

2 lb. spicy smoked sausage, cut in 1-in. sections on a bias
1 med. green pepper, cut in 1/8ths then cut in half horizontally to have 1 square in. sections
1/2 red onion, halved then quartered
1/2 vidallia onion, halved then quartered
16 or so grape tomatoes
1/8 cup olive oil
salt & pepper
1/2 t. crushed red pepper
1 t. paprika flavored with lemon & lime

Soak 8-10 bamboo skewers in water for at least 1/2 hour. (I use the George Foreman grease catcher)
Preheat grill to medium heat after a generous coating of cooking spray. In large bowl add all ingredients starting with oil and spices then add veggies and meat. Toss gently to coat (watching the onions - try to keep layers together). On skewers alternate onion, tomato, pepper, sausage - leaving at least an inch on each end of skewer. Put on grill running 250-300 degrees, turning frequently about 10-15 min. per side, total of 30 min. give or take, being careful not to char. Good served over rice.

(it's got a nice little kick but not too overpowering.)
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: