RSS

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Treva's Pepper Steak

One of the best things about having friends that cook,  is the recipe swap. A real cook is always wanting to try something different or find a new way to do things. So some of us "poker girls" swap recipes and test out new ones on each other. My poker friend (and distant family member), Treva passed this pepper steak recipe on to me, so I'm passing it on to you.

Pepper Steak
1 1/2 lb. steak, cut up in bite size pieces
1/2 t. salt (I had to add pepper)
1 cup chopped onions (I cut in small strips)
1 cup beef broth
3 T. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green peppers cut in strips ( I used 1 green, 1/2 red & 1/2 yellow)
2 T. cornstarch ( I was out, so I used arrowroot - needed more)
1/4 cup water
1 can mushrooms (or sliced fresh) (didn't have any, but would be good)

Preparation -
Salt meat and stir fry in large pan. Add onion and cook til tender. Stir in broth, soy sauce, mushrooms, an garlic. Simmer 10 min. covered Add peppers & cover, simmer 5 min. Mix water & cornstarch. Stir in. Cook til mixture thickens.

Serve over rice or noodles.

This tasted as good as it looked. Only drawback was that the broth was  a tad thin - abit thicker would have been better. Next time, I'll reserve some of juices after onion cooks and add 1 T. flour to thicken in measuring cup, then add later.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: