RSS

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Taco Cheesecake

One of my foodie friends and I were comparing cheesecake recipes a few days ago and it peeked my interest. I haven't made a cheesecake in awhile, so I started researching recipes - savory instead of sweet intrigued me. I found a recipe for a Taco Cheesecake that I tried out on the poker girls. They liked it, so that's a good sign. Here's what I made for them. (Note - next time I do this I would omit the olives blended in the cream cheese, but add onion salt, garlic powder and a touch of chili powder.)

Taco Cheesecake
1 tablespoon cornmeal
Photo Courtesy of Taste of Home
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 envelope taco seasoning
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup salsa
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
1/8 cup chopped ripe olives

 Toppings:
    1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
    1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
    1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
    (sliced green onion would be good)
     Assorted crackers

Directions
   Sprinkle bottom of sprayed 9-in. springform pan with cornmeal. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add the taco seasoning, sour cream and salsa. Stir in the eggs, shredded cheese and chilies. Fold in olives. Pour over cornmeal.
   Preheat oven to 350°. Put cheesecake on cookie sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan to loosen edges. Cool for 1 hour.  Refrigerate overnight. (Top of cheesecake may crack.)
  Remove sides of pan. Spread sour cream over entire cheesecake. Arrange olives and tomato slices on top. Serve with crackers. (Spread cheesecake on crackers then sprinkle on desired toppings.) Yield: 18-20 servings.

(Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face.)
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: