RSS

Friday, November 12, 2010

Tex-Mex Spice

chili powder
chili powder (Photo credit: megabeth)
    My friend Karl was sharing recipes with me lately and gave me a good hint on a New Mexico spice he uses in chili. While checking out another friend's cookbook that is on loan, I found a Tex-Mex rub that sounded similar. So last night I put together these spices and used as a rub on some country-style ribs. I coated the ribs really well in the spices and then browned them in oil before tossing in the crockpot. Smelled fabulous. Tonight we'll see if the taste is as good as the smell.

Tex-Mex Spice
1/4 cup chili powder
4 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. cayenne

Mix all ingredients in small bowl, then put in air tight container or jar. Use as a dry rub for grilled or broiled meats or add as a spice to flavor chili, soups, BBQ sauce or casseroles. Makes 1/2 cup.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: