RSS

Monday, January 17, 2011

Spicy Turkey Soup

On TV I hear Rachel talk about stoups - a combo of a stew and a soup. I'm not sure if that means the soup was thick or the stew was thin, but I did make something that qualifies. After a month or so of a break, I went back to the freezer to finish off the last of the Thanksgiving turkey. I had been checking out one of my new cookbooks and found a way to morph one of their recipes into mine. (That means I didn't have all of their ingredients, so I substituted.)
This turned out to be easy, a little spicy and it had a nice base flavor. Best of all, it was a good way to use up some turkey and get quite a few meals out of some wings an thighs.

Spicy Turkey Stoup
1/2 half medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 T. olive oil
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth, or 2 cubes chicken bouillon dissolved in 1-3/4 cup water
3 T. diced green chilies (or jalapeno)
1 T. cumin
2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cayenne
2 cups chopped cooked turkey
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (10 oz.) tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
1 can (14 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup cooked white rice
Optional toppings - sour cream, shredded cheese or sliced black olives.

In a large soup pan saute onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Stir in chicken broth, green chilies and spices. Add remaining ingredients, except for rice. Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and let simmer at least 30 minutes. Serve on bed of rice and top with shredded cheese and/or other garnishes. Serves 7-8.

To serve as soup - omit rice. Next time I would add a bay leaf and some oregano.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: