RSS

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

   
    Recently one of the girls at work came to me with a dilemma. She had made broccoli cheddar soup in the slow cooker overnight and when she went to top it off with cream that morning, the broccoli had turned brown and disintegrated.
   She assured me that there was plenty of liquid and it had not boiled dry, so this was a puzzle. The poor dear, apparently it turned out so badly that her father said to just bury it. OMG!
   After she told me how they chucked it into the woods, I decided to make some myself to see if I could figure out what went amiss. The only difference is that I had my own bad experiment going on in the slow cooker, which I'll tell you about some other time, so I did the broccoli soup on the stove.
   I thought it was a little salty, as did some of the kids, so I adjusted the recipe a tad. The garlic cooking cream really sends this one over the top.

Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
2 T. butter
1/4-1/3 cup onion, diced fine
1 clove garlic, diced fine
2 T. flour
4-1/2 slices of Velveeta, cubed
3 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 cups water
1 cup milk or heavy cream
1/2 jar (5 oz.) Philadelphia garlic flavored cooking cream
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/14 tsp. white pepper
2 cups frozen broccoli florets, chopped fine

Melt butter in medium-large saucepan. Saute onion and garlic with a sprinkle of salt until tender and translucent, about 4 minutes. 

Reduce heat and stir in flour, blending well to make a paste (roux). Slowly stir in chicken broth, a little at a time, until it thins to a sauce. Add cubed cheese and stir to combine over low heat. Stir in frozen broccoli and spices.

Bring just to a low boil then reduce heat to simmer and add milk. Cover and simmer on lowest heat, stirring often, for 15-20 minutes, just until heated through. 

Serves 4-6. Recipe can easily be doubled.


Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: