RSS

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Catfish Cakes

Photo courtesy Taste of Home
   I love seafood, but being here in the Midwest, I don't get to actually cook with it often. It's a treat. One of the items I've always liked and want to figure out is crab cakes. I've had a couple of experiments that have turned out badly. The cakes just fell apart and made a mess. I'm thinking the crab was too chunky and too moist.
  Not to be deterred, I called my brother-in-law who has a recipe that works. Actually, I found out later that my 3rd or 4th cousin passed it on to him. Isn't it great to be part of a big family that cooks?
   This recipe that Krista developed can be used with crab, lobster or other fish, but is primarily used with catfish. There is plenty of that here in the Midwest.

Catfish cakes
1 lb. catfish fillets
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
1 T. mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
2-2 1/2 cups crushed butter crackers (Townhouse recommended)
1 egg
salt and pepper

   Drizzle small amount of olive oil and two cookie sheets. Place catfish fillets on cookie sheets and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in 350 oven for 15-20 minutes until fork tender. Mash catfish until it's broken up into small bits.
   In medium bowl, mix catfish, mustard, mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, egg and 2 cups of the crushed crackers. Combine well. Shape into patties 2 inches across and 1/4 inch thick. (Adjust consistency as needed, add more crackers if too moist, more mayo if too dry.)
   Pan fry in 1/4 inch oil until lightly browned. Good as an appetizer served warm or cold. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: