RSS

Friday, July 6, 2012

Queso Cheese Cornbread

English: Cornbread in a cast iron skillet.English: Cornbread in a cast iron skillet. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
    My crew has learned to love cornbread, especially slathered in butter. When I'm trying to stretch a meal, one easy way to add another side, is to whip up a batch of cornbread.
   Over the years I've tried jalapeno, cheese, bacon and a host of additives to cornbread to give it a little zip. Last week, I had the end of a hunk of Queso Velveeta I wanted to use, so I chunked it up and through it in the cornbread. How easy? I also got rave reviews from the boys, that's always a plus.

Ingredients
1 box Jiffy Cornbread mix
2-inch slice of Queso Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
cooking spray

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9-inch oven-proof skillet with cooking spray.

Crack egg into medium bowl and stir in milk until well blended. Pour in cornbread mix and stir gently just to combine. Sprinkle in cheese cubes and mix just until well distributed. Mix will be thick. Pour into skillet and spread with back of spoon so that it's even.

Bake 20 minutes just until top is golden. Cut in quarters for big pieces, eigths for smaller wedges. Serve warm with butter. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: