RSS

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.
   I'm truly not a very sweet-eating person and I've only had bread pudding once, a few months ago at a work dinner. This is a dish I've never made in my life, but agreed to show how to make on video for the whole internet world. Can you sense a little stress coming my way?
    My friend from work used cinnamon raisin bread and a touch of bourbon, but the recipe entailed all these steps of strain the egg mixture and baking in a water bath and yada yada - too many steps for my brain. 

   So I went on a search that led me to a recipe that simplified the directions immensely. The ingredients were different, but I needed easy steps that I could remember, so I used the ingredients from one recipe and the steps of another. Why not?
   By some miracle it came out just fine. I took the bread pudding into work the next day and the reviews were great and the leftovers none. You can't ask for much better than that I guess.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Ingredients -
2 cups granulated sugar
5 large beaten eggs
2 cups milk
3 teaspoons vanilla
8-9 slices of cinnamon raisin bread
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans

Sauce -
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla 

1 tsp. bourbon (I used 1/2 Jim Beam airplane bottle size)

Directions -
In a large bowl, tear bread slices into cubes or chunks. They don't have to be tiny. Set aside for later. (This can be done ahead.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2 inch pan.

In medium bowl, with a wire whisk or fork, mix together sugar, eggs, and milk. Add vanilla and stir again. Set aside for a minute.

In another medium bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, and pecans. Mixture will be crumbly.

Put bead cubes in prepared pan. Pour egg and sugar mixture over cubed bread.

Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until set (slightly firm). Remove from oven to cool and set up.

About 10-15 minutes before pudding is done make sauce:

Mix together sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. (There won't be a grainy feeling or look on the edges of the pan.) Add the bourbon, stirring (or whisking) well.

Pour over bread pudding in casserole dish or ladle on individual servings. (Sauce will be a light tan and thicken as it cools.) This can be served warm or cold. Serves 16-18.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: