RSS

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sausage Balls

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.
    
    Of all the food I've cooked over the years, the most requested item I make is sausage balls. It's simple, easy, can be made ahead and reheats well. They also pack up well for travel - I've taken them to girls poker night a few times and they are always a hit. I even entered a cooking contest and won with this dish once. The kids start asking early if I'm making these and I have to hide them once I do.
    I found the recipe years ago in a little newspaper holiday cookbook in Syracuse and have adapted it to fit my family. So simple, you won't believe it.

Sausage Balls
Easy, basic ingredients.
1 lb. ground sausage
1-8 oz. pkg. shredded cheese
2 eggs
1 cup Bisquick
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
1 tsp. parsley

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients. Form 1 inch balls. Place on cookies sheet. Bake in preheated 350 oven 10-15 min. Take out and cool. Bake 10 minutes more. Serve hot. Recipe can be doubled.

Sausage balls ready for oven.

Hot Sausage Balls - use hot sausage, 1 T. chili powder, 1 tsp. ea. garlic and onion powder. Add a sprinkle of crushed red peppers and cayenne. 
Shredded pepperjack cheese is good in this variety.

Note: Using a melon ball scoop is an easy way to keep the size consistent. 


Keep it easy and use a scoop.

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: