RSS

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Southwest hoagies

Photo courtesy of the Cooking Corner.

   A few years back, hubby and I used to go to a Christmas party where they ordered in pizza and strombolies from a local pizza place. The pizza was good, (the sauce a little sweet for me) however, those sandwiches were to die for. Great crust, fresh toppings and gooey cheese.
   I decided that I could do something like one of those monster sandwiches. So, working with what I had on hand, a loaf of Italian bread, chorizo sausage (I keep in the freezer for chili) and cheese, I came up with what my hubby calls a Big Ass Sandwich. This has been a real favorite over the years.


SOUTHWEST HOAGIES (Big-Ass Sandwich)
2 Lb. chorizo sausage
1/2 chopped med. onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 loaf Italian bread

6 slices provolone (or mozzarella)
6 slices pepperjack cheese
pepperoni and/or thick sliced salami
1/4 bottle Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch
* optional - thin slices of red and/or green peppers and onion.

Brown meat half way. Throw in onions, garlic - add salt and pepper. Brown and drain.

Split bread in half lengthwise. Pour ranch on both sides of bread and spread.

On 1/2 of bread layer provolone cheese, then pepperoni, cooked sausage, top with layer of pepperjack cheese. Put top layer of bread back on sandwich. Cut in halves, thirds or quarters, depending on how many portions are desired.

Wrap in foil and bake @ 350 degrees 30 - 45 minutes.

Best served warm when cheese is gooey. Reheats well and can be made ahead.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments: